Translate

Friday, June 15, 2012

Survey Says

At babycenter.com,  diskomay opened a can of worms with an indelicately worded poll:
Incestuous Marriage vs Homosexual Marriage
Which one bothers you the most?

Why?


Do you have any other reasons than religious beliefs?





By "incestuous" she appears to mean marriage between first cousins, as she adds due to several angry or confused responses...
I'm not comparing both. I'm wondering why in the world is incestuous marriage legal in most states where as gay marriage is a big bad taboo.  
As those of you who have followed this blog know, this blog supports the right of an adult to marry ANY consenting adults. I am not bothered at all when adults choose to marry, regardless of their gender, sexual orientation, relation, or race. Some of the respondents address closer-than-cousins relationships, too.

ninjaeema is an ally...
I'm not at all grossed out by gay marriage, but incestuous marriage skeeves me majorly. Regardless, I think that if we're talking about consenting adults, both should be legal.
See that? Even though she is uncomfortable, she recognizes that others should have the freedom to marry. Why aren't more people be like that (yet)?

Americhard#1 wrote...

FYI there are at least 13 people on the DT banging their brother or sister .According to my poll question.

michelleandbryan is an ally...

I voted neither; I think marriage among consenting adults should be lawful period.  I don't care you want to marry your brother, fifteen different people or your lesbian lover, if it's all consensual you should be legally able to marry.

Sonderella gets it...
I don't think it should be illegal, even with increased risks.  We don't legislate against older women having children, although we know that the rate of DS is higher for them.  We don't legislate against non-related couples who have genetic issues, which raise the chances of their having repeat medical issues with their kids.   I really think the government should just stay out of the bedroom. 

George_Sand is an ally...

I don't care who gets married if they are consenting adults.
Those making comments against marriage equality were all using Discredited Arguments, specifically #1, 3, 18, and 20.

Over and over again, we see more allies and participants speaking up. And over and over again, we see there's no good reason to deny adults relationship rights, including full marriage equality.
— — —

9 comments:

  1. Yay, I'm so glad to hear more positive responses. I really think it's because of a lot of your efforts Keith. A lot of your long, thorough, and thought out responses to questions and replies elsewhere. You never know when someone picks up on them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, shucks. The stuff makes sense. I'm sure many other people figures things out without ever having read anything I've written. But I am happy to be part of the solution.

      Delete
    2. Some people do, but many need to see the other side in order to understand where it's coming from. I know, I used to think incest was gross and disgusting when I was younger. Overtime I got a little more open minded. But I think a lot of what you had to say really sunk in and made me understand the issue a lot better.

      Thanks Keith ^_^ Kevin is right on the mark.

      Delete
  2. You are, in my opinion, a big part of the solution. I have yet to find anywhere a larger, more complete, and honest compilation of materials dedicated to full marriage equality for all. Keep doing what you're doing. It makes a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Over and over again, we see more allies and participants speaking up."
    It's a very good thing.
    Unfortunately here in Italy we are neither able to recognize same-sex couples and lots of politicians are against LGBT-Rights, one of them is Alessandra Mussolini (yes, the granddaughter of Benito is a member of the Italian Chamber of Deputies), once she says: "Better fascist than faggot."
    -.-

    ReplyDelete
  4. even though i'm not in an incestous reletionship i hope one day it does become legal (and i have a feeling it will happen soon) :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where are all you people coming from O.O? You all are popping out of nowhere :P which is good I suppose.

    And of course you don't have to be in one to support it :P I'm not in one either. ^^

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam, comments will have to be approved, so your comment may not appear for several hours. Feedback is welcome, including disagreement. I only delete/reject/mark as spam: spam, vulgar or hateful attacks, repeated spouting of bigotry from the same person that does not add to the discussion, and the like. I will not reject comments based on disagreement, but if you don't think consenting adults should be free to love each other, then I do not consent to have you repeatedly spout hate on my blog without adding anything to the discourse.

If you want to write to me privately, then either contact me on Facebook, email me at fullmarriageequality at protonmail dot com, or tell me in your comment that you do NOT want it published. Otherwise, anything you write here is fair game to be used in a subsequent entry. If you want to be anonymous, that is fine.

IT IS OK TO TALK ABOUT SEX IN YOUR COMMENTS, BUT PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR WORDS CAREFULLY AS I WANT THIS BLOG TO BE AS "SAFE FOR WORK" AS POSSIBLE. If your comment includes graphic descriptions of activity involving minors, it's not going to get published.