Translate

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Dreams

Over at thefrisky.com, 10 "common" sex dreams got a brief explanation of meaning. I'm not sure their explainations should be taken too seriously. Their explanation of incestuous dreams only takes the approach of waking incest being predatory (rape, molestation), unfortunately.
Incestuous sex dreams are by far the most disturbing and hardest to shake off when you wake up.
Certainly if they involve predatory behavior. Although, they had a separate interpretation for rape dreams. Dreams with consensual incest may not be disturbing at all.
Before I go any further here, I should note that if you had a real-life experience with incest and are having dreams about it, you should seek professional help.
If you've never been a victim of incest, dreaming of sex with a family member can mean a few different things -- none of them insidious. Sex with a parent may have to do with transitioning into adulthood or becoming a parent yourself. Sex with any family member can be about acceptance, deep forgiveness, a longing to be closer or heal a rift.

And what about people who have experienced or are experiencing consensual incest? This blurb takes the approach of ignoring that reality.

Apparently having forgotten about the term "gay," here's what they had to say about "homosexual sex"...
If you are not homosexual in your waking life, but dream of having sex with someone of the same sex, it's about your self-esteem. Depending on how the dream plays out, this same sex dream is about loving parts of yourself that you've been less than accepting of. Homosexual sex with a friend may be a commentary about some rift between you, insecurities about the friendship, or some quality or talent they have that you emulate. Don't worry, it doesn't mean you secretly want to sleep with your best friend.
Yes, don't worry even though it would be so horrible to have sex with someone you get along with so well, especially if that would mean you are... homosexual... or bisexual.

Finally, here's what they said about a dream featuring sex with a stranger...
Carl Jung had a theory that every man and woman has an animus or anima. An animus is the male energy of a female and the anima is female energy of a male. Sex with a stranger of the opposite sex has to do with the state of your animus/anima. It's about balance, about merger of the male and female aspects of yourself. And actually, sex with a stranger in a dream, given that it is not scary or traumatic, can be quite a fortuitous sign of personal growth.
Growth is good, right? As long as it doesn't involve sex with, you know, your best friend or your sibling. At least that's what I've picked up from their dream interpretation. I'm sure there are better, more thorough explanations for various dreams. I need to crack open some books I haven't opened in a long time.

Keep in mind that sometimes, a cigar is just a cigar.

Now if you'll excuse me, the folks at the frisky.com are going to read the bumps on my head.
— — —

1 comment:

  1. I remember when I had a dream in which we made out with my sister (less than two years younger than me) and I woke up so rapidly, gasping for air and having an erection. I was about 14 or 15 at the time and I felt ashamed for this dream and couldn't think of anything else for a couple of days. I couldn't imagine how such a "horrible" thing could have happened to me and tried desperately to distract my mind from this as if I had committed a serious crime or something. I was really scared and didn't even dare to try and explain it to myself.

    ReplyDelete

To prevent spam, comments will have to be approved, so your comment may not appear for several hours. Feedback is welcome, including disagreement. I only delete/reject/mark as spam: spam, vulgar or hateful attacks, repeated spouting of bigotry from the same person that does not add to the discussion, and the like. I will not reject comments based on disagreement, but if you don't think consenting adults should be free to love each other, then I do not consent to have you repeatedly spout hate on my blog without adding anything to the discourse.

If you want to write to me privately, then either contact me on Facebook, email me at fullmarriageequality at protonmail dot com, or tell me in your comment that you do NOT want it published. Otherwise, anything you write here is fair game to be used in a subsequent entry. If you want to be anonymous, that is fine.

IT IS OK TO TALK ABOUT SEX IN YOUR COMMENTS, BUT PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR WORDS CAREFULLY AS I WANT THIS BLOG TO BE AS "SAFE FOR WORK" AS POSSIBLE. If your comment includes graphic descriptions of activity involving minors, it's not going to get published.