Translate

Saturday, December 17, 2011

More TV Talk


There's more reaction to the "incest on TV" that I have been covering in entries like this one and this one.

More "Fear Factor" talk at dailymail.co.uk...



In the opening ten minutes of stunt/ dare reality programme, the host Joe Rogan and fellow contestants appear to imply a mother and son doubleact - who are competing in the show - have an incestuous relationship.

Rogan and some of the other participants crack jokes and raise eyebrows as Monica and her son Matias share a lingering hug as they psyche themselves up for a helicopter stunt.


Sara McGinnis at sheknows.com offers...

Though she says she doesn't plan to sue Fear Factor at this point, Monica did go on to clarify, "In no way, shape or form am I inappropriate with my son... I’m broken hearted. Joe Rogan... shame on you. You are a father. How dare you talk about my son that way?"

Just what kind of comments is Monica referencing? One viewer wrote on the Fear Factor Facebook page:

I think I missed most of it because I'm covering my eyes! But, I love it. Definitely grossed out though by the "touchy-feely" mother & son. I've heard some argue that they were "just close" and we all had dirty minds to think otherwise. I'd have to agree, they were close, but not in a healthy looking way. The way he dangled his hand over her overly exposed boobs was disturbing. They acted like a couple. Yuck!

Though most of the comments were celebrating the return of Fear Factor and Joe Rogan, other fans gave the 'thumbs up' to the message above.


Kelli Catana writes about "The Incest Plot Twist", referencing "Dexter" and "Boardwalk Empire"...



There has been a recent plot twist that two of my favourite television shows have in common, and I'm not okay with it. First Boardwalk Empire went there, followed by Dexter -- making me cringe in my seat as I watched both shows. I'm not talking about the 1920s gang violence of Boardwalk Empire or the serial killing with a conscience of Dexter -- I'm talking about straight-up, make-you-wince-at-the-mere-insinuation-of-it incest!
Got that? Murder... okay... sex... eew! Unacceptable!

Unfortunately the writers decided to confirm the rumours and reveal, in a scene that had most of us yelling at the television and watching through our fingers trying to block out what we were about to see, that mother and son actually did do the deed. My main reaction after watching that scene was a very loud "ewww" followed by a lot of OMGs on Twitter. Was it an integral part of the storyline? Maybe. After all, it explains that it was the resulting shame and guilt that was the reason Jimmy enlisted in the military and went from happy-go-lucky Princeton student to sulking and brooding wannabe gangster. So I get that there had to be some huge life changing experience that caused that. But I'm pretty sure all that could have been done without having visual confirmation of Jimmy and his mother having sex. Because, well, ewww.

As for "Dexter"...

I know that the Debra/Dexter characters aren't biologically related, but that doesn't make it okay! And it certainly doesn't make it okay to have Debra having those dreams about her brother. I watch Dexter so I can see how he's going to finally get that creepy Doomsday Killer Colin Hanks, not so I can be uncomfortable watching a potential brother/sister hook-up. For the love, what has gotten into these writers?!

Reality?

But there are some things I just don't want to see on regular network TV or cable programming, and that's incest.

Some people don't want to see interracial couples. We all have differences when it comes to what turns us on and what turns us off, and what is neither here nor there for us. Consanguinamory and consensual sex between stepsiblings is a reality. It happens all of the time. Maybe not with most, but with enough that it is ridiculous to ask TV writers to keep ignoring it.

Finally, I don't want to spoil "CSI" Season 12, Episode 10 for you, so stop reading if you don't want to know.



Willie Clark recapped the show...


I don't want to spoil "CSI" Season 12, Episode 10 for you, so stop reading if you don't want to know...



Amidst all the hustle and bustle, the CSIs managed to track down the dead man's colleague, a fellow genealogist who helped the team try to figure out why someone would want her coworker dead. It turned out that he was researching the lineage for one of his clients who hoped to find a male relative to walk her down the aisle, but ended up uncovering one too many skeletons in the family's closet.

In the end everything wrapped up pretty tidy, with Mrs. Robbins' name cleared and an 11h hour twist that rotted the proverbial pumpkin: Patrick O'Toole (Matthew Walker) committed the murder because he had finally been introduced to his family, and it turned out that the reason he was put up for adoption in the first place and never met them was that his brother was actually his father. Kind of a bad realization to have late in life, I suppose. But, the week wrapped on a happy note, with both Mr. and Mrs. Robbins making up, making out, and apparently moving on.

Can we please, please, please, get some well done, positive depiction of consanguinamory?
— — —

No comments:

Post a Comment

To prevent spam, comments will have to be approved, so your comment may not appear for several hours. Feedback is welcome, including disagreement. I only delete/reject/mark as spam: spam, vulgar or hateful attacks, repeated spouting of bigotry from the same person that does not add to the discussion, and the like. I will not reject comments based on disagreement, but if you don't think consenting adults should be free to love each other, then I do not consent to have you repeatedly spout hate on my blog without adding anything to the discourse.

If you want to write to me privately, then either contact me on Facebook, email me at fullmarriageequality at protonmail dot com, or tell me in your comment that you do NOT want it published. Otherwise, anything you write here is fair game to be used in a subsequent entry. If you want to be anonymous, that is fine.

IT IS OK TO TALK ABOUT SEX IN YOUR COMMENTS, BUT PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR WORDS CAREFULLY AS I WANT THIS BLOG TO BE AS "SAFE FOR WORK" AS POSSIBLE. If your comment includes graphic descriptions of activity involving minors, it's not going to get published.