Translate

Thursday, May 16, 2019

International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia

May 17 is the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia.

Regardless of someone's sex or gender identity, regardless of their sexual orientation, an adult should be free to be themselves, to be in public, to work, to be "single," or to share love, sex, residence, and marriage with any and all consenting adults, without fear of prosecution, bullying, harassment, discrimination, or any other negative effects of homophobia, transphobia, biphobia, etc.

Let's stand up to hate, bigotry, prejudice, discrimination, bullying, and unjust laws. Let's protect people from being abused by those who would perpetuate hate.

Progress is often difficult and achieved through much struggle. Sometimes it can seem like there have been setbacks. But overall, progress is being made. Let's keep the momentum going!
— — —

2 comments:

  1. Hi you used the abbreviation "etc." which shocked me a bit but perhaps you are right and it sounds a bit more 'professional' to use this term than to refer to other words like 'incestophobia' or 'ciaophobia' more directly. CIAO people are used to being swept under the carpet, over looked, ignored and side-lined and treated like poor cousins, excluded from the LBGTIQ 'alphabet soup'. To my mind, if you are going to use such radical progressive words like 'homophobia, transphobia, biphobia'(words our grandparents would not like to hear us use at Sunday school) then why not use incestophobia or ciaophobia? Sorry for the snipe, but I am in a bad mood today. The rest of your article, excluding the 'etc.' was great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was simply recognizing the day. The day addresses three named prejudices.

      On April 28 I recognized Consanguinamory Day. I didn’t mention polyamory. I wasn’t slighting polyamory.

      Delete

To prevent spam, comments will have to be approved, so your comment may not appear for several hours. Feedback is welcome, including disagreement. I only delete/reject/mark as spam: spam, vulgar or hateful attacks, repeated spouting of bigotry from the same person that does not add to the discussion, and the like. I will not reject comments based on disagreement, but if you don't think consenting adults should be free to love each other, then I do not consent to have you repeatedly spout hate on my blog without adding anything to the discourse.

If you want to write to me privately, then either contact me on Facebook, email me at fullmarriageequality at protonmail dot com, or tell me in your comment that you do NOT want it published. Otherwise, anything you write here is fair game to be used in a subsequent entry. If you want to be anonymous, that is fine.

IT IS OK TO TALK ABOUT SEX IN YOUR COMMENTS, BUT PLEASE CHOOSE YOUR WORDS CAREFULLY AS I WANT THIS BLOG TO BE AS "SAFE FOR WORK" AS POSSIBLE. If your comment includes graphic descriptions of activity involving minors, it's not going to get published.